LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — More than 10,000 backpacks and school supplies have been provided by Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield Nevada Medicaid and United Way of Southern Nevada to be distributed by Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Officers across Southern Nevada.
The free back to school supply distribution kicked off on July 21 at Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Headquarters on 400 S M.L.K. Boulevard. After a news conference at 1:30 p.m., supplies were divided up to area commands who will then distribute them to families in Las Vegas communities.
“This initiative was designed to help alleviate some of the financial burdens for those families affected by COVID-19. So many of our students are eager to get back to school, and we don’t want them to worry about what backpack they’re going to wear or what school supplies they may need when they return,” said LVMPD Sergeant Jason Santos.
Amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, families are facing unprecedented challenges, including job losses, social distancing, cost inflation, supply shortages, health disparities, and other pressures.
Resources and supplies needed to prepare a child for the school year averaged approximately $700 per child in 2019.
This is not feasible for many low-income families across Nevada and can result in adverse stress that negatively impacts the lives of children and their entire families.
This back to school initiative is funded by the LVMPD Foundation and community sponsors.
All 10 area commands will continue to distribute backpacks with supplies between July 22 – August 8 in their corresponding neighborhoods.
LVMPD backpack drive locations:
- July 22 – Convention Center Area Command: Harbor Island Apartments, 370 E. Harmon Ave.
- July 23 – Enterprise Area Command: John R. Hummel Elementary School, 9800 Placid St.
- July 23 – Spring Valley Area Command: Cashman Park, 4622 W. Desert Inn Rd.
- July 25 – Summerlin Area Command: Pirates Cove Corridor, Luna St.
- July 26 – Northwest Area Command: Águilas Church, 5355 Madre Mesa Dr.
- July 29 – Northwest Area Command: Mater Academy of Nevada, 3445 S. Mountain Vista St.
- July 30 – Northeast Area Command: Bob Price Community Center, 2050 Bonnie Ln.
- August 3 – Downtown Area Command: Veteran’s Village/Shared Village, 1150 S. Las Vegas Blvd.
- August 4 – Bolden Area Command: Liberty Baptist Church, 6501 W. Lake Mead Blvd.
- August 6 – Downtown Area Command: Stupak Community Center, 251 W. Boston Ave.
- August 4, 5 and 6 – Southeast Area Command: 17 Elementary Schools and Boys and Girls Clubs
- August 8 – South Central Area Command: Mobile Distribution
Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield, along with the LVMPD, have made a commitment to help children and families, especially those in depressed areas, by removing barriers that can impact health and lives, so they are once again hosting these events across Southern Nevada.