Man Charged with Attempted Murder in Attack on Police Decoy in Downtown Las Vegas

A man accused of attacking a police decoy mannequin near downtown Las Vegas was charged Tuesday with attempted murder.

Shane Schindler, 30, was captured on police surveillance video bashing the dummy with a 4-pound ball-peen hammer on Feb. 22 in an area where two homeless men recently had been killed.

The Metropolitan Police Department, which staged the decoy to look like a sleeping man and staked out various spots downtown after announcing they had no leads in the slayings, said in a report that they believe Schindler was out to kill.

In court, Chief Deputy District Attorney Marc DiGiacomo asked Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Karen Bennett-Haron to raise Schindler’s bail to $250,000, from $50,000.

Deputy Public Defender Ashley Sisolak said Schindler’s bail was already double the standard amount for the charges of attempted murder and carrying a concealed weapon.

The prosecutor alluded to the ongoing double homicide investigation.

“Clearly, there’s more here than is just being charged,” he said. “And he presents a severe danger to the community at large.”